Monday 20 August 2012

HOST taster and Salts Mill

I can not believe how long its been since my last post! My bad!

My friend and fellow (much better!) artist Kevin Threlfall tweeted me recently to recommend paying a visit to Huddersfield's newest gallery space- the train station.
I must admit, I passed through Hudds train station in July while doing the 'ale trail' for a friend's birthday and did think then that I had spotted art hanging in the station- and I was right! The art work currently  hanging in the station is a taster of the artists who will feature in HOST and I spotted some familiar works hanging there.


 Helaina Sharpley's 3D Wire painting in Hudds train station.



 A beautiful piece by Kevin Threlfall.


 Mick Kirby- Geddes.




There was lots more to see besides the pieces pictured here, well worth a look if you're in Huddersfield- a very unique gallery space, just as Kevin said.

Don't forget about HOST- on in the Kirklees area 08.09.12 and 09.09.12. For more info visit the website at
http://www.hoststudios.co.uk.

Then, this Sunday, I paid a flying visit to Salts Mill in Saltaire- one of my most favourite spaces (and places). I had a look around the wonderful display of Hockney's on the ground floor- always a delight- and paid a visit to the exhibition currently on the 3rd floor-
25 Trees and other Pictures by David Hockney
remaining here until January 2013
featuring three 27-foot-long pictures of Bessingby Road, Bridlington.Other Yorkshire landscapes and recent portraits of family and friends are also on show.
In the projection room you can see Hockney's recent works on the iPhone and iPad, which cannot be seen anywhere else in the UK.
The show which is on the third floor, is open Wednesday - Sunday, 10.30am - 4pm, admission free

I'm pleased to say that the Bessingby Road photos were great but the real highlight for me was the family portraits- they were fantastic! I love Hockney's work- I like its honest, childlike quality- its simplicity, accessibility, colorfulness- just how I like my art :)



 Hockey's on the ground floor.
 A long view of the ground floor.

 Family portraits on show on the 3rd floor.


I cannot recommend Salts Mill- and Saltaire- enough for a visit. Why not head there during the upcoming Saltaire Festival? On between 06.09.12 till 16.09.12. For more info on the festival visit the website at http://www.saltairefestival.co.uk and for more info on Salts Mill visit http://www.saltsmill.org.uk.

I'm very excited about both events, not to mention Brighouse Festival, on from 23.08.12 to 31.08.12- I'll be heading there this Sunday afternoon. For more info their website is http://www.brighousefestival.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment