Sunday 16 December 2012

Bolton Art Gallery

Last week I was working in Bolton and decided to visit the municipal Art Galley, Museum and Aquarium on one of my lunch breaks.

I know this is an art blog but really, the art gallery was the least impressive part of my visit!

The Aquarium, though small, was a delight. You enter by walking down a corridor lined with tanks on one side containing various different small fish and a history of the Aquarium on the other (opened in 1941, only public aquarium in Greater Manchester, holds a Zoo license etc), before entering a room lined all the way round with tanks containing much larger fish. There were some really gruesome characters in the main room! But very interesting to look at and, as the Aquarium is totally free, made for a pleasurable diversion before hitting the art gallery upstairs on the first floor.

The museum, also on the first floor, is in 2 parts- one is an Egyptian wing, which was actually very good, and the other was a museum about Bolton itself, which was fantastic! Very well presented, interesting and modern in layout and content and information displays- a real pleasure to look around. There was also a mezzanine level which I didn't get time to look around, so I'm not sure what was up there.

Housed within the Bolton museum wing was a small exhibition of artist Albert East's work- landscapes and scenes he painted of Bolton in the early 1900s. These were very good and were on display until today, so sadly I can not recommend you go see them as my post is too late (sorry!)

The art gallery section was short and sweet and, if truth be told, I can not remember the names of any of the artists I viewed there! But what was on display was enjoyable and varied and made for a pleasant walk around.

Between the art gallery and Egyptian wing there is currently an exhibition of Japanese decorated enamels- if that sort of thing floats your boat.

The building itself was stunningly beautiful- I didn't get any interior shots but did take some of the outside-



If I've inspired you to pay a visit (Bolton's shopping centre is also excellent) then check out the website for more info and to plan your visit- http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment