Sunday 12 May 2013

William Turnball at Chatsworth, April 13

Shame on me, I went to see William Turnball at Chatsworth waaaay back at the start of April (Easter weekend in fact) but am only now getting round to blogging about it- dreadfully slack of me I know! But, in my defence, I've been very busy and this will be a particularly big post.

Turnball at Chatsworth is on until 30.06.13 and I highly recommend you go see it- there's a whooping 39 sculptures in the gardens alone, not to mention 38 works being exhibited within the house- 77 Turnball pieces in total. Now that is value for money! I've seen Turnball's work before at the fabulous Yorkshire Sculpture Park, but the volume of pieces in this residency is astounding.


As you can see from this shot of the house, the snow was still upon us. In fact, my friend and I wondered if we'd make it, several regional roads had been closed during the week due to the heavy snow fall, but our fears were unfounded and we made it there fine. In fact, we got quite lucky with the weather- it stayed dry, wasn't too windy and the sun even came out later on.

Lauren, my dear friend whom I went with, standing next to 'Large Blade Venus'.

Me, standing next to 'Horse'.

'Large Horse'. I love these, they're primal, simple and remind me of something you might see near a stone circle on a hill top! They also remind me of Fiona Clai Brown's horses. I just love the simplicity and the materials Turnball uses in his sculptures.

'Large Horse' from opposite side.

'Aphrodite'. Makes me think of an alien being!


Front and side view of 'Horse'. I like the simple detailing on the horses mane.


Top is 'Angle' and below is 'X'. Hmmm not sure about these!



Top is me posing next to 'Large Siren'- looked like a cello to me and Lauren. Obviously, its supposed to represent the curves of a woman's figure (although don't quote me on that! Might be totally wrong!)

Middle is the rather ugly 'Aphrodite' (another one) and bottom is 'Large Spade Venus'. I love the colour.




Top is the cool 'Trojan'. I like the detailing on this.

Middle is 'War Goddess' and bottom is ''Standing Female Figure', 'Figure' and 'Idol 1' (left to right).





Top is Lauren posing next to 'Female Figure'. A very good imitation of the piece I think!
Next down is the beautiful 'Leda', followed by 2 shots of 'Head'. My pictures don't do this sculpture justice, the engravings on it were fabulous- very subtle.





Top is 'Metamorphic Venus', below that is 'Idol', followed by 2 shots illustrating the fantastic spring weather at the time (take that at face value or as sarcasm- your choice!). The snowy view from the top of Paxton's Rock Garden was pretty cool though (no pun intended!)







Top is me and Lauren (awww), middle is 'Figure 2', bottom is 'Figure'. Looks suspiciously like a banjo if you ask me!


And so, we come to the pieces exhibited inside the house. Up close, this painting is made up of various shades and textures of brown and black paint. It is called 'Head'. I kind of like it, although its far too erratic to look at for long.








This painting is called 'Landscape'. My pictures doesn't show the detail of the white paint under the red line, but it was brilliant- thick splodges and lines of white paint, slowing receding as your eyes move down the canvas. Looks like an angry red rain cloud dumping thick white rain or snow. I love this piece.








This cool character is 'Mask'. I liked the playful expression on this sculpture's 'face'.


These three paintings are 'Head', 'Head' and, ur, 'Head' (left to right). Not much imagination in the titles is there?!





Here are 'Mask' and 'Mask 3' (left to right). I like how smooth and emotionless they are. Like icons ancient man may have worshipped to.


Last but not least is '15- 1958'. I really like the simplistic colours of this painting and the way the black paint seeps and encroaches on to the simple bright red. It makes the painting, despite its bright colours, dark and foreboding. Great use of the black paint, like something nasty and sinister is arriving and here to spoil the fun/ day.

Featured in this post is just a sample of the fabulous works on display, both in the gardens and Chatsworth house. I love the work of Turnball- its simplicity and mysticism. This residency is more than worth a visit- there's plenty to see and lots of variety. He's certainly one of my favorite sculptors so I was thrilled to get to see so many of his sculptures in one exhibit, as well as some of his paintings, none of which I had seen before. Remember, you've got until 30.06.13 so get planning your trip now!

For more info visit the 'Whats on' pages of the Chatsworth House website- http://www.chatsworth.org 



No comments:

Post a Comment