Wednesday 4 July 2012

Holmfirth Art Week 2012 Part 1

Because I have so much to say/ enthuse about Holmfirth Art Week I'm going to do a number of posts about my visit to the main exhibit and various Fringe venues over the course of this week.

In tonight's post I'll discuss Booth House Gallery (Fringe Venue 27) and Carniceria (Fringe Venue 18).

Booth House Gallery had a wonderful selection of pottery on display- I could have spent a small fortune in there. When you park up at their ample car park you are first greeted by this magnificent sculpture-


Once inside the beautiful and spacious interior there's so much to see and enjoy. My favourites were;






These beauties by Peter Clough were gorgeous. I thought a few of these together on a mantelpiece would make a great feature in any living room. Its not very clear from my picture but they each had little scenes on them. Lovely!



These delightful lamps, candle holders and spoons are the work of Sarah Jones Morris and were some of my favourites from the whole of this year's Art Week. I think they are stunningly beautiful. You can also view similar pieces at the main exhibit and buy some to 'take home now' from the shop at the back of the ground floor in the main exhibit. I also picked up a little clay heart on a ribbon and a small clay dove on wire by Sarah to hang in my bedroom- they're only small but so lovely and very inexpensive. Both are available from the shop at the main exhibit. I couldn't resist buying some of Sarah's work! I might have to go back and get a candle holder too- they really are so nice and very reasonable priced.


I saw this wonderful piece on the first floor of Booth House (or it may be two separate pieces just coincidentally placed together?!), although I couldn't spot who the artist was. If you know, please get in touch and let me know.

Finally, Booth House are still selling Fiona Clai Brown's blue horses. I LOVE these and have done for years- I want one soooooo bad (hmmm possible 30th bday present?)






Carnies featured the photographs of Owen Phillips and they were amazing. I loved them! And they looked so good displayed throughout Carnies (don't be shy- they are in the bar, restaurant and upstairs. Just wander through- I did!). I just thought that the pictures all looked so colourful, vibrant and young, and, of course, I adore the subject matter. They really are beautiful photographs and well worth a look. An example of them is below-


They really are gorgeous.

If you want any more information about the artists featured in this post, please follow the links below-

http://www.fionaclaibrown.co.uk
http://www.peterclough.net
http://www.facebook.com/SarahJonesMorrisCeramics
Booth House Gallery= http://www.jimrobison.co.uk
http://owenphillips.co.uk

And don't forget to head over to Holmfirth Art Week yourselves, if you haven't done so already, it's on till Saturday. For full details see www.holmfirthartweek.org.uk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi BecahG, I've just come across your blog and seen these pice and your lovely write up about my work!! Thank you, I'm so glad you like it all and have bought some too. I just have to say though, that the tealights in this pic aren't mine! They are made by my lovely and talented friend Ann Rogers...so I can't take credit for these ones!! I do make some tea lights and have them for sale at Booth house now ( if he has any left, I need to replenish stocks!), I have had them at the holmfirth art week also, so it may have been one of mine that you bought. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing my work on your blog! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete