Thursday 17 May 2012

2nd part of review post-

As I was saying earlier, on the last bank holiday Monday I (dragged) Chris (my boyf) to the Cornerhouse to see the latest exhibit that's on there at the moment. It's called Subversion, and the Cornerhouse blurb says-

Curated by Omar Kholeif, Subversion brings together the work of eleven artists from across a range of disciplines including animation, video, installation and photography in response to the often histriographic presentation of Arab culture. It is a collection of work that frames Middle Eastern art in a post social media era instead of within the restraints of traditional geographical, political and ethnic preconceptions.

So, what did I think? Hmmmm....! I enjoyed some of the exhibits very much. I liked Gallery 1's Palestinauts, which were designed by Larissa Sansour. She also assumes the role of an astronaut in an intriguing pastiche of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001. I thought this was good and certainly thought provoking.

Gallery 3 is a ‘playground’ where visitors can ‘engage and tamper’; its open spaces and large installations are impressive. There's a Gaza Internet cafe set constructed by Kev Thornton to house Wafaa Bilal’s Virtual Jihadi computer game, which must be seen to be believed (who would you rather shoot- Bin Laden or Bush?). Finally, you come to a pop up cinema which houses the ironic works of Tarzan and Arab- which was the highlight of the exhibit for me.

All in all I enjoyed it, but I agree with a review of the exhibit that describes it as 'a question with no answers', and so you leave feeling a little unsettled. But maybe that is the point?

Subversion is on until Tue 5 June 2012. The Galleries are open Tue – Sun and are free to visit

No comments:

Post a Comment