Thursday 17 May 2012

Review/ opinion time

So, last bank holiday weekend I had a wonderfully cultural time of it.

Firstly I visited the superb Saltaire Art Trail

If you've never been to Saltaire I recommend you do so asap- its a wonderful place and a great day out. The parking is pretty decent- there's a few central car parks charging reasonable parking fees, ample parking at Salt Mill and street parking is free if you can get it.
There's a collection of wonderful bars/ cafes to refresh in, a number of vintage clothes and exquisite gift shops, the Mill is a haven for Hockney fans and shoppers, there's the round church, the Victorian park by the river and Mill, the canal to walk along and the architecture of Saltaire generally is stunning (in case your in to architecture like me!).
Anyway, the Art Trail features lots of activities for kiddies, the beautiful town hall and college buildings were open to the public featuring work shops and craft stalls and then you basically get to wander around the local residents properties looking at art work in their actual homes! and its all free!
I loved getting to see Art in such an informal, personal setting- not to mention the opportunity to nosey around peoples homes and see inside the wonderful terrace properties of Saltaire. I was so jealous, as a lot of the properties still had originally features- proper property envy :). The variety of art to see was brilliant and there were some beautiful pieces and names gathered to watch out for. I'll certainly be returning next May.

The website for Saltaire Art Tail is http://www.saltaireartstrail.co.uk and their blog can be found at http://www.saltaireartstrail.blogspot.co.uk/.

So, that was my Saturday. Then on bank holiday Monday I checked out the new exhibit at the Cornerhouse in Manchester. More on that in my next post- I've run out of lunch break!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment